Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

(source)
Title: Shatter Me

Author: Tahereh Mafi

Length: 357 pages

Publisher: HarperCollins

Classification: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopian        

Release Date: November 15, 2011





My Rating: 





I really enjoyed reading this story. It was a slow start for me because of all of the repetition. And even though I re-read books a lot, I don't like a lot of repetition so close together. But I continued reading and I am GLAD I did.

I found this book to be really interesting.

Type of Dystopian. LOVE

Type of Superpower. LOVE

I love superpowers. I love SUPERHEROES! I love X-men.
(I did think of X-men a lot while reading this story.)

(In fact the story that I have been writing is a type of dystopian that has some individuals with superpowers. Seriously, I love X-men. Stan Lee is amazing.)

I read this book rather quickly and there were times when I didn't want to put the book down.

I like Juliette. She is struggling with the power that she does not want. And I liked the flashbacks where we learned more about her and her childhood.

I also really liked Adam. He is one of her love interests.

There is a bit of a love triangle of sorts. Although she isn't really interested in the other guy. At least that is the impression I got...


***SPOILERS AHEAD. DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW DETAILS FROM THE STORY THAT COULD RUIN IT IF YOU DON'T ALREADY KNOW***
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
I also enjoyed reading about their history together. How their childhoods were linked and they both knew each other.

I also found it interesting that he was able to touch her without anything happening. I am looking forward to learning more about Adam to find out how it is possible and if there is something special with him as well.


My heart broke for Juliette when we find out what happened in the past that made her to into the institution place. As well as the test that Warner had set up for her. Which brought the past bubbling up for her.

Then Adam and Juliette escape together. Which was awesome. And of course they were going to get caught.
But I was really surprised to find that Adam has a little brother.

I thought James is adorable. And I LOVE the relationship that James and Adam share.

I do keep wondering how Warner and his men found them so quickly. Adam chalks it up to someone being bribed, but I am wondering if that is all there is to it.

Kenji shows up and Adam takes care of him, but also doesn't trust him, since he was a soldier under Warner too and just magically shows up at Adam's safe house.

Not long after Kenji shows up, they come for them. So our beloved characters run for their lives.

Warner catches Juliette and they talk. Warner admits to Juliette that he knows the truth and knows that he can touch her also without getting hurt.

Which makes me wonder what is "special" about Warner.

Juliette defends herself and shoots Warner and runs away to find Adam.

I loved that she was able to save Adam.

Then after stealing a car they find Kenji and James again. Kenji takes them someplace special where they will be safe.

I find this Safe Place to be interesting. It is basically a whole compound of people that have abilities and their families and probably supporters. They are the rebels/resistance that are trying to fight the Reestablishment.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

I am looking forward to reading the other two books of this series.
Book 2: Unravel Me
Book 3: Ignite Me (Released February 4, 2014)

I am glad that I decided to buy this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.